CPT Information for Internship and Practical Training Supervisors

What is Curricular Practical Training?

At the graduate level, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an integral part of a student’s academic program at the University of the Cumberlands.  The CPT program allows students to participate in either an internship or practical training experience.  The selected internship/practical training experience must be identified by an academic program advisor as being an integral part of the student’s respective degree program.  The program advisor must assign discipline specific academic credit to the training experience.

How does a student apply for CPT?

Students interested in applying for CPT should apply at least ten (10) days before the start date of the training opportunity. All applications are processed through the DocuSign system. Once students have completed their portion of the application and attached an offer letter, the CPT Supervisor will receive an email requesting additional information to complete the application.

Upon completing the application process, the student and his/her practical training supervisor are acknowledging that this is a Collaborative Practical Training Agreement with University of the Cumberlands. Completed applications are required for CPT Approval.

Applications will be processed based on the order they are received.  There is no guarantee of approval.  Upon approval and processing of the application, students will receive a digital, unofficial copy of their newly issued I-20.  Additionally, students will receive a hardcopy of their newly issued I-20, using eShipGlobal services.

What Information does a CPT Supervisor need to complete the application?
  • The CPT Placement Company name and address (Student worksite location address if different)
  • The position title for the student participant
  • The start/end dates of the position if they are not directly aligned with the semester dates.
  • CPT contact and Supervisor contact information.  





What is The Collaborative Practical Training Agreement?

The Collaborative Practical Training Agreement details that as the supervisor you understand that the student’s internship/practical training with your organization is contingent on the following:

  • The position must be an integral part of the student’s course of study.
  • The student must enroll in a corresponding course during the semester in which the CPT is authorized.
  • The position must be directly related to the student’s major area of study.
  • The student must be maintaining lawful F-1 status.
  • The student must maintain a full course of study, and that participation in CPT will not delay the student’s completion of their respective academic program. 
What is the CPT Renewal?

The completion of the CPT renewal form documents a student’s continuation of an approved internship or practical training program that has been identified as an integral part of the student’s respective degree program.  By completing this renewal form, the student and his/her practical training supervisor are acknowledging that this is a continuation of a collaborative practical training agreement with University of the Cumberlands. 

What are students required to do for CPT participation?

If students are approved for participation, they must be enrolled in the INTR – Applied Practicum Learning course. This course requires student’s participating to reflect each semester on the training they have received and the direct correlation with their course work for the semester. 

How does an F1 student apply for a Social Security Number?

Students are only eligible to apply for an SSN if he/she has a job offer letter and work permission.  Please note, F-2 dependents are not eligible for an SSN. To apply the student must be in the US and apply with the local SSN office no earlier than 30 days before the start date of employment as recorded on their form I-20.  When submitting the application, the student must provide their form I-20 and employment letter. 

How much can a student work when participating in CPT?

Students can work on either full-time or part-time CPT. There is no limit to the length of time a student can participates in CPT; however, if the student has more than 11 months and 29 days or more of full-time CPT, they are ineligible for OPT. There is no limit to part-time CPT participation and OPT eligibility. 

Don't international students need work authorization before I can hire them?

No. International students must have the work authorization before they begin actual employment, but not before they are offered employment. In fact, F-1 students must have a written job offer in order to apply for CPT participation. 

What about taxes for an F1 student?

Unless exempted by a tax treaty, F‐1 and J‐1 students earning income under practical training are subject to applicable federal, state, and local income taxes. Information on tax and tax treaties may be found in Internal Revenue Services.

What is OPT or the STEM Extension?
Need help completing a DocuSign form?

If there are two signers, once you sign it will automatically send the form to the second signer. Once the second signer completes the form it will be sent directly to UC. Watch this tutorial for help!