Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
This is a type of off-campus work/internship that is directly tied to the student’s program of study. It is not available after the student complete their respective degree program.
There are a few key reminders to the CPT process:
- Undergraduate students must complete one full year of study before they are eligible to request CPT. CPT must be a part of your academic program and you must gain approval through International Student Services.
- Graduate students can request CPT in their first semester of enrollment, it is an integral part of of the student’s graduate studies.
- There is no limit to the number of months a student utilizes part-time CPT.
- If a student completes 12 months (11 months and 29 days) or more of full-time CPT, he or she will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). It is the student’s responsibility to keep track of the number of months he or she has participated in CPT.
CPT Request Process:
- The student must meet the above mentioned enrollment requirements.
- The student must secure a job/internship offer (in writing) in a position directly related to the student’s field of study.
- Graduate students must complete the CPT Request Form or CPT Renewal Form.
- If you are applying for CPT for the Fall 2017 semester (August 28, 2017 to January 7, 2018) please use this CPT Request Form
- If you are applying for CPT for the Spring 2018 semester (January 8, 2018 to May 6, 2018) please use this CPT Request Form
- If you have previously submitted a CPT application and need to submit another application during the same term please email Brittany.email@example.com for information on how obtain a new CPT application.
- If you are applying for CPT renewal for the Spring 2018 semester (January 8, 2018 to May 6, 2018) please use the CPT Renewal Form
- Please note, the written offer of employment/internship experience must be included with the application. CPT Applications will only be accepted through the self-service portal..
- Any student who wishes to participate in CPT must also be enrolled in the associated Applied Learning Practicum (INTR) course for each semester that he or she participates in CPT. All assignments included in the course must be completed in order to maintain compliance with the CPT process.
- Student must complete application for approval prior to employment/internship start.
- Once all steps have been completed, a new I-20 will be issued to the student reflecting the CPT selection.