24 MONTH STEM EXTENSION
Students in a select list of degree programs can apply for the 24-month STEM extension of post-completion OPT (for a total eligibility of up to 36 months). This extension is only available to eligible F-1 students. A student can only use this extension once per degree level. Please contact either the Office of Student Services (undergraduate students) or International Graduate Services (graduate students) for more information.
STEM EXTENSION FAST FACTS
- You must be a recipient of a degree in a STEM designated degree program.
- You must be currently authorized for OPT.
- You must complete an I-983 form.
- You cannot have exceeded 90 days of unemployment.
- You must be employed or have an offer of employment in the STEM field of study from an employer who participates in the federal E-Verify program.
- For additional information regarding the STEM Extension visit the STEM OPT HUB hosted by Study in the States (https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/stem-opt-hub)